Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Day of Firsts: First Cut, First Cold

As I shared yesterday, today was Levi's first haircut.  His wings are gone and in a plastic bag for keepsake purposes.  Not only did Levi have his first haircut today, but he also has his first cold :-(.  I know, I know, how cruel am I for taking him to get his hair cut at only 5 1/2 months with a runny nose...I'm terrible.  His MD suggested saline solution for his stuffy nose, so, 2 pharmacies later, we begin treatment.  I was very glad to discover that this saline solution also came with a nasal aspirator, as our current one isn't very efficient in sucking out the...well, you know.  But, what I didn't find in the box was a straight jacket which you need in order to administer the saline solution.  Not that I would ever be able to strap down my son...I say this in order to give you all a mental image of how incredibly difficult it is to squirt something into an infant's teeny, tiny nose while he is turning backflips, rolling over, and karate kicking me all at once.  You mothers out there I'm sure understand my dilemma.  Did I even get the solution in his nose, probably not...I don't believe it ever reach its destination.  I'm sure he swallowed some and of course most of his lower face was wet with what I'm assuming was the solution mixed with tears.  Poor baby!  He can't sleep or eat very well because both of these require breathing which is interrupted by his over abundance of....well, once again, you know.  All I want to do is hold him and love him...he is so pitiful.  

As for his haircut....wonderful experience, despite his cold.  Lori, his stylist, was extremely careful and patient with him.  At least he didn't perform the same as he does while I'm trying to squirt the saline in his nose, if that was the case, he would look brutal!  As you'll see, he looks just as precious now as he did before and, hopefully, not much different.  



9 comments:

The Beaver Bunch said...

This post cracked me up! I understand the complexity of squirting saline into tiny noses that refuse to hold still. Cute haircut, love the last pic, with his great big grin!

Anonymous said...

awe!!!! I really love the last picture. He smiles different! Like a grown boy! Oh my word...
And it's good to see my Lori.
Tell her I love her...
BTW, nice jewelry in the background. But why is it still there. It should ALL be sold by now!
:) love you guys

gk said...

For serious.. I give my best friend like 3 weeks until Matt has to teach him how to shave!

Just like his "Matt's baby Jerry" picture!!

But his hair cut looks precious! You should start taking him with you when you get your hair cut. It could be mommy and baby bonding time!

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh!!! How precious! Matt just told me about your blog- so you're about to have another fan! Levi is so cute- I liked the wings:( We love you guys & miss you! Keep blogging, it's so nice to see what you guys are up to!

Lindsey Broere said...

how handsome is Levi??!

Umm yeah...I hate "administering" that stuff...Layla STILL runs from her aspirator!

You can get those Vicks plug ins at any pharmacy or grocery store and they are amazing! I am so sorry he has a cold...It is pitiful when little ones are sick! Let me know if you need me to bring you a plug in by the house :-)

Brittany Bryant said...

Maybe by the time our little one comes along you'll be able to show me the trick to holding down a little squirmer. I love your blog! Cant't wait to read more.

Natasha said...

I can completely understand the nose squirting ordeal. I have been an accomplice in the nose squirting crime several times as my stepmom and I both struggled to hold down Taylor and Blaine. You are right...the poor babies squirm, wiggle, and kick like you are trying to kill them. The bottom line...you are being such a good mom as you do everything you can to help your precious Levi feel better. :)

Heather said...

Aww Levi is so handsome with his new little haircut.

Vonda said...

I really don't miss those days! It's so much nicer now that my kids can actually blow their noses! Love the cute hair styles--those were priceless!