Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Back to School

Today I had my first taste of what I'll be experiencing starting this coming Monday....WORK.  Not that being a mommy all day isn't work, but it is a different kind of work and something that I haven't exactly perfected when I have to juggle my job as a mommy and my job as Mrs. R.  These past couple of weeks I've been telling everyone how much I love my job and how going back won't be that bad...yada, yada, yada!  Well, today was my first day back on the 8-3:30 day, without Levi (and pump in tote).  After sitting through meeting after meeting and learning all of the paperwork changes I get to painfully fumble through this school year, I have to say....I'm not sure I'm liking it so much.   

...Of course, being back with the crew I work with is wonderful...they're so great and I don't think I'd love my job half as much without them.  I guess I do miss my students, a teeny-tiny bit, and I'm looking forward to hearing of their summertime adventures...which, unfortunately, I'm certain consist of mostly wasting away in front of some way too mature video game.   Also, I must confess, I'm one of those nuts that loves the "back to school" time of year...the smell of freshly cut grass (not that it isn't cut all summer long...it just has a different smell when school starts.  I'm not sure why...) and the smell of new pencils....I love it!  I also find it so entertaining to see how well everyone...teachers, parents, and students...get along at the beginning of the year.  That warm, fuzzy relationship doesn't last long for some, but at the beginning of school, everyone gets a fresh start.  

Okay, I guess going back may not be that terrible of a thing.  Although I can think of many reasons I'm not looking forward to walking down that hallway and unlocking the door to my freezing classroom, my cave, I'll keep those 'lil thoughts to myself.  Let's keep positive, right?

I am grateful for the roles the Lord has led me to play and I will try my hardest to keep a smile on my face....and no tears in my eyes!  We'll see what the next couple of weeks hold....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beth..I understand completely. I do love my job and feel like I am in a position to positively affect so many children, however, all I can think of most of time is my OWN 2 CHILDREN. But as you said....we have to do it, so we may as well try our best to do it with a smile and without complaint!

Matt Rollins said...

mmmmmhhhh...... aaaahhhhhh..... LOVE the smell of freshly sharpened pencils, desk cleaner, and lunch food.... there's just SOMETHING about it. No... not really. I have no idea what you're talking about :)

Natasha said...

Beth...I have been thinking about you and praying for you as school heads into full swing. I know that it has to be difficult to leave precious Levi all day. I appreciate how you are trying your best to maintain a positve attitude. Thinking positively is a must in our profession...there are negatives all around us, but for the sake of the students, we must focus on the bright side of things. The students deserve that...

I hope you have a fabulous school year. The fearless four need to get together soon and catch up...