Saturday, December 13, 2008

A New Grinch in Town...

I will begin this post by quoting a letter that was placed in our mailboxes at school last Friday.  I assure you, these are not my words...

"Let's take a look at the Christmas issue first.  Many of you feel that not allowing our students to celebrate Christmas by doing "fun" things at school is wrong or prison-like.  I want you to put yourself in MY shoes.  I too stress over eliminating holiday fun from school.  However, as an instructional leader, I know that education has changed dramatically.  School today is about growing students academically; rigor and accountability.  We often discuss how many of our students struggle to read, write or do mathematics.  How can making a gingerbread house, creating a Christmas tree or reindeer, watching a Christmas movie, or making Christmas crafts or ornaments resolve those issues?  They can't!  If you Google "Christmas" or look it up in the dictionary, you will find that Christmas is an annual holiday celebrated on December 25 that marks and honors the birth of Jesus.  Christmas is NOT Santa Claus, Christmas trees, stockings, reindeer, ornaments, etc.  Those are only symbols or mythological characters created for the holiday.  So where does the North Carolina Standard Course of Study address the birth of Jesus---it DOESN'T.  And although "Christmas" cannot be taught or symbolized in school, due to the religious context, it can be shown and offered in many ways throughout our school within your own HEART of those you touch on a daily basis.  We SHOULD bring the "spirit of Christmas" into our classrooms and school EVERYDAY; not just this time of year."

Can't you just picture the devious, green, furry Grinch stuffing all of Christmas into his large bag and preparing to drive his sleigh off the cliff? 

Let me begin by stating that I do agree that one of our main focuses in education is obviously the academic growth of our students, hasn't that always been the purpose of education?   I also agree that we should never force our beliefs onto our students.  However, how do we ignore Christmas?  How do we prevent our children from sharing in the joy of this season?  This is our culture here in America.  Failure to share these "symbols" with our students is failure to teach them about our culture.  Is that not educational?  Part of the curriculum of some grade levels include teaching about Christmas around the world.  To this, we were told to "teach 'HOLIDAYS' around the world and to leave America out because we already know how we celebrate here."  Are you kidding me?  So, let me get this straight...we can teach about Kwanzaa, Hanukah, and the beliefs of other cultures, but not our own?  Not only has our school refrained from doing any holiday related crafts, they have completely wiped Christmas from our school.   We were lead to believe that this is coming down from the state and federal government; however, every other elementary school, that I'm aware of, still have signs of Christmas in their school.  In fact, I've been told that even the county office is decorated in twinkling lights.  If it is good enough for us, why isn't it good enough for the children we teach? At my school, the decorations from previous years were boxed up and sent home.  I no longer work at a school, I am the employee of an institution.  Just take a stroll down my hallway.  No more Christmas books, trees, wreaths, or even snowmen.  These educators are allowed to teach and discuss Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, and any other culture celebrating during this season; however, our traditional teachings are not allowed.  Hmmm...shameful, isn't it?  

Many of you are probably not even aware that this is taking place.  Take the time to ask questions, raise awareness, stand firm in what you believe should be taught, shared, and enjoyed in your schools.  These decisions should never be left up to a panel of scrooges who enjoyed the smells, sights, and sounds of this magical time of year in their "good 'ol days." Many of our students do not have the resources and/or devoted parents to make gingerbread cookies, sprinkle some glitter on Christmas ornaments, watch a Christmas movie or read a Christmas book.  Should they not experience these privileges at school?  What fond memories do you relive about your childhood this time of year?  Is it what you scored on the end of year tests, what reading strategies you learned in the 2nd grade, or perhaps the 1st time you memorized your multiplication tables?  I'm sure it is safe to me to bet that it was probably none of these.  I remember singing the "Drummer Boy" and trying to roll my tongue just like my teacher...."ba rumbababummm."  I remember standing on the stage with my friends as we depicted the nativity in front of the flashing cameras of many supportive parents.  I have fond memories of making ornaments of oranges, cloves, and cinnamon.  To this day, when I smell cloves, it takes me back to the innocence of childhood and the joy of Christmas.  Ahhhh, I'm so thankful for those memories.  

I am not going to be responsible for taking Christmas out of the schools and the hearts of our children.  Will you? 

7 comments:

Vonda said...

Amen!! There is entirely too much pressure put on our children at school now. When I think about Jake starting Kindergarten next year, it makes me nervous because of all he is expected to know just to start the school year. I remember when kindergarten was where we learned our colors by painting and coloring. We also said a prayer before going to the lunchroom. Now, our educators don't even want a prayer said at graduation. We've let too much be taken from our kid's schools. I agree it's time to take a stand.

Lindsey Broere said...

You know..this is just a symptom of something bigger that's going on in this country. Somewhere along the way, we've been made to feel "guilty" for celebrating our nation. Its preventing our children from taking pride in their country...assuming ownership of their country and culture. Sad sad sad!

Perhaps I should sneak into your school at night and pull a really nasty prank by hanging a wreath on the front door.

I'm Just Sayin said...

Okay, first of all, I'm not surprised. I worked in the school system for one year and knew it wasn't the place for me when they told me I couldn't show I was upset when we found a student had been abused.

Second of all, Caton LOVED her Christmas Around the World study that SHE JUST DID at her school - 1st grade - Fairgrove Elementary.

In the movie The Santa Clause, the school principal took Christmas out of the schools and the students "tagged" the school.

Lindsey, I'm with you - let's pull a covert operation, break in and decorate. We can make it look like the North Pole in the movie Elf! Maybe Matt has some undercover gear we can borrow!

Anonymous said...

You know that saying, "You don't know what you have until you've lost it"? I hope this country never loses it's right to worship and speak freely, but if they did things would change. They put every restriction on it possible, but how much would that change if we spent even a decade without having the choice? It's a shame our country only says that they appreciate freedom, but abuses it or restricts it when at all possible. It's no wonder America looks like it does to other nations.... greedy and conceded.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Beth. I teach at a school, though, that "works" it into the curriculum. You CAN use the season to STILL teach the objectives that we are to cover in our grade level. Sometimes we forget we are teaching human beings with hearts and souls, NOT ROBOTS!!!!!

Vonda said...

Sorry Beth but I'm just getting around to this one (Vonda left the previous comments). I'd like to challenge your "grinch" to do some research on Saint Nicholas before he/she decides to dismiss him as a fictional character. Imagine not believing in Santa..for shame!! Also I just read some comments from "anonymous" left for you in a previous blog. I noticed that one of them called you a redneck (probably not as a compliment). Now I don't know your take on this but anytime someone calls me a "Redneck" I just smile and say thanks. I am after all the "Mayor of Redneck Island." With that said I didnt vote for Mr. Obama (I really wasnt pleased with any of our choices) but I do support him and pray for him because he is my President now (did you hear that anonymous?...that was from a Redneck).
-Brent

gk said...

Oh..My.. GOSH.. I love that picture of Levi in the leaves. Did you take it? I think you need to post some pictures for me. Just a whole post of pictures. I know, I'm full of good ideas! :)