Sunday, June 22, 2008

How Does Your Garden Grow??

I love to garden, however, I by no means consider myself a gardener, especially now that I'm a new mother.  My grandmother, mother-in-law, and father are the gardeners in the family.  This spring, my father planted an organic garden, spanning approximately 3 acres...now that's ambitious!  I'm not even in their league.  My few measly plants on my patio and perennials in our attempt at a yard would never qualify me as a gardener.  Oh, side note, we were awarded "yard of the week" by the local newspaper last summer (thanks to my grandmother for entering us).  Despite my poor attempts at "gardening," I enjoy getting my hands dirty and seeing what God decides to do with my attempts.  I love His creation.  I'm a little bit crazy though...I'm one of those that tries my best to take bugs outside  instead of squishing them on my floor (with the exception of mosquitoes...I hate those things).  My plan often backfires though...many times their little wings or legs end up on my tissue after I've released them.  At least I try.  Okay, sorry for the digression.  Where was I????  Oh yes, my plants and how poor of a gardener I am.  The plants on my patio struggle in the sun most of the day with very little break from the heat.  Matt and I do make an effort to water them daily, but as for the flowers in my yard, they're usually left to fend for themselves.  I have found this summer that no matter how often I water my flowers on the patio, they mostly look pathetic and some have already died.  Last night, however, there was sweet relief.  God watered my garden.  This morning, everything, including my flowers looked refreshed, renewed, and the brightest they've looked all season.   I love how a good watering from the best gardener washes everything clean and makes it as good as new.  

When I examine my life, I don't feel as fulfilled, fresh, and renewed when others water my garden, whether that be people or things of this world.  The times when I'm actively pursuing God's will for my life, through reading His word and in time spent in prayer, I do feel revived and new again.  Isn't it the greatest thing to experience a life changed by God?  A friend of ours recently made a profession of faith and decided that living in God's will was much more fulfilling and permanent than things of this world.  He decided to let God be his gardener and it was a beautiful sight!  I could almost smell the fresh wet soil, ready for growth.  We should soak up all God has to offer, because in the end, without Christ, there's nothing.  Well, maybe there's a dried leaf or crumpled petals, an indication of a life that was once full of beauty and promise, but is no more.  I certainly don't want to be like the fried vegetation on my patio, I want to be vibrant and full of life.  I want to strive daily to let God grow my garden and see what He can produce in me.  This is how I want my garden to grow...

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.  You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you."  John 15:1-3 (NIV)



And I still digress...here are some pics from this weekend...enjoy!






2 comments:

Lindsey Broere said...

HA-The Hershey's onesie is priceless...must get that from his mommy :-)

The Beaver Bunch said...

Love this post. I love that all tings are of God & how easy it can be to see Him in all things if we just open our eyes.