Sunday, July 13, 2008

"Gracias!" (thanks for the title Grace)

For those of you who don't know, Matt and I help teach the 12th graders at Rich Fork Baptist. What a privilege it is to be associated with this group of students. They bring us such joy and in all honesty, they teach us. In today's society, our teens are taught to please and serve themselves, but our students are practicing a different kind of servanthood. They have decided to follow Christ's example and serve Him through loving others. Several of our students, along with others from our church, are going to Romania a week from Thursday. They have organized a camp for 40-50 kids, ranging from 6 years to approximately 20 years old, and will be sharing Christ through recreation, Bible stories, arts/crafts, and good old-fashion fellowship. I was blessed 2 years ago when I had the opportunity to go to Romania and participate in a similar camp. It was a wonderful experience and my life was greatly enriched as I know there's will be as well.

This past week, our Senior class quickly organized a last minute yard sale on Saturday to clean out Chris and Lindy's garage after their move to Kenya. (Side note...they sold their house in approximately 3 weeks...praise God!) Team Thompson offered their remaining treasures for us to sell towards our Romania trip (thank you, thank you!). All of our students have already paid for their trip, so we decided to use whatever money we made to meet a unknown need in Romania. We sold $400+ worth of stuff and cannot wait to see where the Lord directs the team to use this money.

Please be in prayer for our students and the adults traveling with them as they prepare to leave for Romania. For most of our students, this will be their first mission trip and their first time out of the country. Please pray for the children they will be ministering to, that the camp would run smoothly, that the team will see a need for the yard sale money, and for their safe travel. I will be anxiously awaiting their full report when they come home. Unfortunately, I will not be going with the team this year, however, I'll try to persuade Matt to submit a post on their trip when they return.

Thanks to Emily, Grace, Kevin and JJ who all made it out on such a short notice on Saturday and to Team Thompson for donating your things to sell...we love and miss you guys! I also want to thank the rest of our SS class for just being so great!

Here are some pictures from our yard sale on Saturday. Who said you can't entertain yourself in 90 degree heat???


Emily is dressed to impress. Hey Linders, where did you get this outfit???



Kevin and Grace battle it out for the best of Team Thompson's treasures.


Levi got to play dress up too!




I think Grace is Levi's new best friend...he was flirting most of the day.



Sorry to report, the wig pictured here didn't go towards our Romania money. It didn't find a new home on Saturday, only the trash.

4 comments:

Only Servants Ministries said...

#1 That wig is the greatest... i wanted to keep it, but CT said no. (Joy and I got it at goodwill as I play Ivin Sputnik at one of those dinner party-play-in a box)
#2 The outfit- also a goodwill special- that was for a wednesday night fashion show when Matt was doing that series on Image. Tod Shores outfit won I think.
#3 Levi is so cute!
#4 Why doesn't it suprise me the ones that showed up! They are really great!
(P.S. totally unrelated- How'd Kev like the Hat Ma got him?)

The Beaver Bunch said...

Those are some pretty special teenagers. I'll certainly be praying as they go to Romania.

On a side note....for claiming you'd never have anything to blog about, you're doin' a pretty darn good job!

Natasha said...

Beth...I will add the Rich Fork youth, Matt, and their trip to Romania to my prayer list. I know that God will do great things through them.

Heather said...

So I am loving my little cuddle bug in the hat. Hope you are having a great week.