Thursday, July 10, 2008

More than Water...

Do you ever read or watch something that you can't get off your mind, no matter how small it is? You toss and turn all night with these images in your head and you wake up wondering if you ever slept. I wonder if this is what happened many times in the Bible leading people to seek out someone to interpret their dreams. I believe God lays things so heavily on our hearts to shake some sense in to us in hopes to spring us into action. Before Lindy left for Kenya, she gave me a book, Voices of Sudan by David Johnson. He is a photographer, teaching in Charlotte, who has traveled throughout the Sudan photographing the people he states "can no longer speak for themselves." The book is a little over a hundred pages consisting of photographs and stories from those trapped in the genocide that is continuing to violently rip apart a country. Naturally, I have an interest in Africa because of Chris and Lindy's service there, but, my interest in the Sudan genocide began several years ago when I read a book by three "Lost Boys."

I do believe it is becoming popular these days to have an interest in world affairs, especially in Africa. Angelia Jolie, Bono, Ben Affleck, Oprah, and several other pop culture icons are trying to raise awareness of the various plights the people of the Dark Continent suffer and, regardless of their reasons or intentions, I'm sure their efforts have raised money and awareness. What these people need along with water, medicine, education, and peace, is the Savior. I pray God protects and blesses the efforts of those who give up everything to serve Him in these dark places. For those of us who are not called to be missionaries in Africa, what are we doing? Are we being obedient in praying for these people and the missionaries that live among them? Are there groups or efforts you could give your time or money to that aim at meeting the needs of the Sudanese while introducing Christ to them? What is happening right now, every minute of the day, is too disturbing and sickening for many of us to think of. I believe that is why I was tossing and turning throughout the night. While I have water to swim in, wash my face, and water my flowers, many Sudanese risk their lives to taste. I have my family and they are safe. I can kiss, bathe, and feed Levi, while dreaming of his bright future. Right now, Levi is lying next to me without a care in the world and I'm so grateful for that. Meanwhile, many of the Sudanese do not know where their families are, let alone if they are alive, while others have to relive the nightmare of having their children snatched from their arms...or worse. The magnitude and severity of the reality these people live numbs me and it all seems hopeless. But, we know there is hope.

Why am I blogging this? Because...this has clouded my mind and my dreams, as it should. I admit, I don't know what my role is. What can I, in my simple and safe life, do for this people group? We have a responsibility and I'm praying the Lord will show me what my responsibility is to these people. What's yours?

For more information, please go to http://onlyservants.blogspot.com/ and click on the November posts under Chris and Lindy's blog archives. To find out more about Voices of Sudan, go to http://www.silentimages.org/silentimages/. Please continue praying for the efforts in the Sudan and all of Africa. Also be in prayer for missionaries all across the world.

As David Johnson reminds us in Voices of Sudan...

"Speak up for those who cannot speak up for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute."
Proverbs 31:8 (NIV)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully stated. This blog proves that you are taking your responsibility seriously. Don't forget to pass buy that book for someone else. I bought several and gave them out b/c I wanted you all to "pay it forward" so to speak, and buy one for another person. Plus all the proceeds from the book go to aid refugees. I did this for 5 people. Think it you all do that for someone else and they do it for someone else- think how many hands that book would get into. Raising awareness, i believe, is part of our responsibility. Because "With knowledge comes Responsibility"
(I dream of having some special nurse training to go and help these people in their immense suffering.

I love you so much...

Anonymous said...

i mean buy the book.. not "pass buy"
i was going to say pass it on and changed my mind.
(It also looks like I said my name was "it", but I really wrote LT) Matt, does that make you think of a certain movie as a child???

Lindsey Broere said...

wow...thanks Beth! Neil and I got our monthly statement in the mail from Wine to Water and I was reminded of a video that Doc (the guy who started the org) showed us of a child Layla's age sitting bare bottomed in the slums of Kenya. I was heart broken when I saw it...and each time God puts that image back in my mind...

SO--thanks for the reminder--way to easy to get caught up in the day-to-day "stuff"

I need to pick up a copy of that book...or "pass buy" it--HA!

LOVE YOU! Miss you! Must see you soon :-)

AnniePat said...

good stuff. it is encouraging to hear your heart. i don't know when i'll be back in town, but i will definitely call you. i hate i didn't get a chance to come see you last time around!

Only Servants Ministries said...

Linds- hush up. j/k you can make fun of me anytime. Just get a copy of that book. Esp since you and Neil have interests in that area.

Betha- There is nowhere to comment about that picture about that you changed. I LOVE IT! That is soooo cute. (I know I think even his poop is cute). I must know who he was looking at or talking to! Did you take it yesterday when him was talking to auntie Linders? Glad you learned how to put that thing on there b/c I was no help.
About the YouTube thing. Here ya go:

When you upload it onto YouTUbe there will be a little box beside it that says "Embed" highlight and copy that. Then go to new post and click on the film thing at the top tool bar. and paste her right there. Hopefully that will work! Let me know if it doesn't. We'll try something else. (I still don't know how you do that slide show thing.

cathy hudler said...

Hey Beth,
thanks for these words. I wish everyone was talking about it. we need to pray for hearts to be broken instead of apathetic. praise God for the Chris and Lindy's out there. Praise God for how he is stirring hearts!

love, cathy